Monday, March 19, 2007

Happy...um...Birthday

My family has some unfortunate birthdays. Mine is the anniversary of the Madrid bombings. My mother's is today, the anniversary of the start of the Iraq war. To celebrate, she bought me presents: 2 pairs of quick-dry underwear and an extra-large pack towel, for Israel. I do wonder sometimes whether it is really worth spending all this money for quick-dry stuff for Israel (isn't everything quick-dry in Israel?), but an even slightly wet garment can get real gnarly after a couple days wadded up in the bottom of a backpack, so I guess it is. I did get her a present: a running top (quick dry, as a matter of fact).

Nikudot mystery of the week is Isaiah 40: 7:

יָבֵ֤שׁ חָצִיר֙ נָ֣בֵֽל צִ֔יץ כִּ֛י ר֥וּחַ יְהוָ֖ה נָ֣שְׁבָה בּ֑וֹ אָכֵ֥ן חָצִ֖יר הָעָֽם׃

Why בּ֑וֹ with בּ and not ב ? Previous syllable is apparently open and previous word has a conjunctive taam. Input welcomed.

1 comment:

BZ said...

I don't know the answer, but I have the same question about the last word of Psalm 92:16.