Saturday, March 24, 2007

A Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins...

My adventure has begun. I'm blogging from Los Angeles, in the midst of (gasp) a college party. I'm staying with my brother. This morning I had an admission interview at a prominent Southern California business school. It went well, but I felt tense and uncomfortable in the suit. I'm still not used to standing tall, collecting business cards, gladhanding, and shmuzing. Reminds me a little of those first few weeks of teaching, when I was just weeks out of college and would look at myself in the mirror at 6 in the morning, tie around my freshly-shaven neck. The thought in my head would be, "There's Mr. F____." It was an identity I was not yet comfortable with. It took most of a year to comfortably integrate my teaching persona into my overall personality, to be relaxed in front of a class. I guess it will be the same with wearing a suit and a smile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nate,

It's great to get your email, to and to hear about your trip. I'm excited for you, and I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog (post those pictures, too!).

Please have a safe journey.

...and maybe there will be a guitar there somewhere, who knows? :)

Aloha,
Kathi

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.