Tuesday, April 10, 2007

First full day in Jerusalem





I think I said to AS yesterday that I thought I was over my jet lag...I spoke too soon. Spent most of the night wide awake. I took a pill and everything, but I just could not sleep. Finally the sun came up and I figured I might as well just get the day started early. So, full of determination I did stretches, calisthenics, made tea. And then I sat down for a second on the couch around 7 and felt suddenly sleepy. I remember A waking me up to say he was going to work. I remember my phone alarm going off. I woke up around 1 pm.

But I woke up full of resolve! I took my first hot shower of the trip (the hostel only offered cold). I took in the views of Jerusalem from A & S's front yard (see pictures above). I took a bus into the city and spent the day walking around. There was a lot more action compared to yesterday, now that Pesach is over. My guidebook describes Tel Aviv as "down right sexy." It doesn't describe Jerusalem as sexy. Certainly the style is less revealing here, but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't be sexy. For example, I saw several shoe stores doing a booming business in those tall, black leather boots for women. Under a knee-length skirt, they don't show anything, but they are suggestive.

I took a detour around a block that was closed off. Quite a crowd gathered to watch the police blow up a bag that had been left unattended at a bus stop. Turned out to be just clothes inside, to the surprise of no one.

I think it will take me some time to get used to the security presence. Seeing police on the street with big assault rifles is the obvious example, but really it's the less visually obvious stuff that I think will take longer to get used to. For example, just about every cafe and restaurant has a security guard. I ducked into McDonald's just to use the bathroom, but first I had to have my bag searched. There is good reason for it of course, and it is reassuring, but, as I walked down the street today my eyes just kept being drawn to the guards: There's one, there's one, there's another one. And the guards for the most part don't just sit there sleepily, they look back, not threatening, just observing. One is watched as one walks down the street. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

The other two pictures above are a sculpture that I thought looked like a big goldfish mouth and a lovely arbor. To get the full effect of the second one, you have to imagine the smell of barbeque, because there were several families having cook-outs in that park.

I asked for directions twice today. Once I was answered in Hebrew and given wrong information. Once I was answered in English and given correct information.

No comments: