Monday, April 9, 2007

More Pictures!





I took all these today in Jerusalem. Top left-guy in red
was playing this instrument that looks like a turtle and sounds like a steel drum. I asked him what it was called and he said something like "Alfa." Anyway, it had a very pleasant, exotic sound, so I stayed and listened to him for quite some time.
The rest of the pictures are from my walk today along the ramparts of the old city (in full gear, as you can see). I think my legs are going to be sore. But there were some great sites. If you look inward, you see people's yards, their laundry drying, their kids' toys, their trash. Old Jerusalem is built on so many levels. Except for the main streets, there is no sense of "ground level" universal to the whole city. New was built on top of old, so one is always stepping up and down. It's like a city designed by MC Escher. I had a hard time capturing all of this depth in a photo, though, and I got the sense that people in their yards didn't really want to be on display. I did attempt a picture of a camel through an arrow loop (the walls were built to keep out crusaders).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi!!!Nate, I love hearing about your trip. Do stay alert and aware but enjoy everything. How wonderful to be in an area with so much history.
Congrats on the Hebrew. Really enjoyed the pictures.
Cuz MILO