Friday, April 27, 2007

The most stereotypical Israeli cab ride ever

The other day I was waiting for a bus to the Israel Museum, since I wanted to catch an English language tour of the Shrine of the Book. After 20 minutes of no bus, I hailed a cab. I told the driver where I wanted to go. "20 shekels" he said. I said, "No, start the meter" (in Israel, cabs have meters but passengers often forgo them and just haggle over the price of the ride - a yellow cab and a gypsy cab all in one). "Then get out!" the driver yelled, "20 shekels or get out! It's not so much to ask. Just 20 shekels, what's your problem? You think 20 shekels is so much?" I should have gotten out at this point, but I thought I was going to miss the tour. "OK 20 shekels," I acquiesced. As we drove, the driver continued on this theme. "You know, it's a sad day." (It happened to be Israeli Memorial Day.) "How can we think of using a meter on a day like this - on Yom Hazikaron? Also, I'm not feeling very well," he began to kvetch. "I think after this I need to drive home. I have really got something. I need to rest." When we got to the museum, the driver drove up to the parking lot kiosk and told the attendant he needed to drive into the parking lot because his passenger worked at the museum, and had a very important job. I tried to say it was fine he could let me off and I could walk the remaining 50 feet to the door, but he shot me a look. The attendant gave up protesting after not very long, and as we drove into the parking lot the driver turned around and gave me a wide grin, the kind where one of his teeth twinkled, the kind that says, a bad man like me, it's good to have on your side, eh? I was not reassured, and I later figured out he had totally overcharged me for the ride. And there was no tour because of Yom Hazikaron. But, the museum was very enjoyable anyway.

No comments: